Miami-Dade County Public Schools will host the 2018 Francisco R. Walker Miami-Dade County Teacher of the Year dinner to name the most outstanding teacher throughout the District on Thursday, January 26, at 6 p.m. at the DoubleTree by Hilton Miami Airport & Convention Center. The 2017 Rookie Teacher of the Year also will be chosen. The event will be held at 711 N.W. 72nd Avenue.
The four teacher of the year finalists, the areas they represent and their schools are listed as follows:
• North – Nadia German, Ojus Elementary
• Central – Rodolfo Diaz, South Miami Senior High
• South – Laura Ortiz, Robert Morgan Educational Center & Technical College
• Adult/Technical Colleges and Educational Opportunity & Access – Alfreida Dianne Joseph-Goins, Dorothy M. Wallace C.O.P.E.
The signature sponsors are Delta Dental Insurance, United Way of Miami-Dade, Kendall Toyota South Florida Educational Federal Credit Union, Nova Southeastern University’s Abraham S. Fischler College of Education, and Univision 23/UniMas 69. The supporting sponsors are Herff Jones, and Fox-Mar Photography. This event is in partnership with United Teachers of Dade (UTD), Miami-Dade County Council of PTAs/PTSAs and the Dade Association of School Administrators (DASA). Kendall Toyota will present the winner with the keys to a new car.
The District and United Teachers of Dade also will recognize the 2017 Rookie Teacher of the Year finalists, and announce the winner at the event. The finalists are listed as follows:
• North – Dontricia Jones, Norland Elementary
• Central – Davalyn Suarez, Miami Senior High School
• South – Ann-Marie Zambrano, South Miami Heights Elementary
• Adult/Technical Colleges and Educational Opportunity & Access – Evelin Salas, Dorothy M. Wallace C.O.P.E. South
For further information contact the Office of Community Engagement at 305-995-3050.
Press Availability: If you would like to interview the finalists prior to the event, please contact the Office of Communications at 305-995-2060.
Follow us on Twitter at @mdcps and @miamisup, and on Facebook at @Miami-Dade County Public Schools and @Alberto Carvalho.
# # #
# # #